Where’s The Anxiety Coming From?
While no one knows for sure, according to several economic experts quoted by the CNN Money article, “the events of the past six years have shaken the belief in our ability to accumulate wealth over the long haul.” Other researchers said, “…the erosion of trust in our financial system will have a lasting effect.”
Not only is our financial system flawed, I also happen to believe that the media fuels fear in everyone by sensationalizing the news with the most dismal predictions possible. Instead of reporting the benefits of the new ACA (Affordable Care Act) and the many people who will now be covered, many media outlets (not to mention political parties) are doing their best to suggest that it will bankrupt our country. That kind of negativity and fear seeps into most people’s daily lives causing deep anxiety and concern.
So How Can Simple Living Help?
Before I go further let me assure you that when I say a return to simplicity will help, I’m not talking about joining a commune or living in a tent. A simple definition of simple living is: a lifestyle that minimizesconsumption and maximizes those things that bring the most peace and joy.
With that in mind, here are a list of 15 ways I believe simple living can eliminate your anxiety:
1. More freedom to create the life you desire, instead of feeling stuck in a job or a life just because you have no other choice.
2. Allows you to appreciate what you do have instead of constantly craving what you don’t have.
3. Provides you with a better work/life balance because you let go of pushing yourself to work longer and longer hours to maintain an over-consumptive lifestyle. In other words, Work SMARTer not harder!
4. Help you clarify what is most important, meaningful and what really matters to you, and let go of the rest.
5. Allows you to seek quality not quantity in all things.