Off gridders and homesteaders need tools! Period. Hand tools, power tools, and equipment all make off grid living easier and more productive. Without these tools it’s impossible to build and maintain your homestead. Being off grid means being prepared and being 100% self sufficient. Without the right tools for the right job your life off grid will be much rougher than it needs to be. Be prepared and be ready. This is a list of the top 10 must have tools in your off grid living arsenal.
You will need these tool, just to start.
1. Chainsaws – If you don’t have a chainsaw, get one. You’ll need it to clear brush, trees, and if you’re the adventurous type, you’ll need it to build your cabin. It’s an invaluable tool for trimming trees which overhang your home, clearing trails and roads of debris caused by storms, and with a sawmill-attachment, you can make lumber to build your cabin.
2. Handsaws – Your chainsaw will run out of gas, and there will be others helping you build and maintain your property. A handsaw is a must-have tool.
3. Table Saw – Cutting planks and boards to exact measurements takes a good table saw.
4. Chop Saw – With a chop saw you can cut pipe, rebar, studs, joists, fence posts and just about all other materials from steel, to PVC, to wood, brick and concrete block.
5. Axes – No homestead is complete without an axe. Firewood is the most needed commodity in the northern hemisphere in winter, and if you don;t have an axe, it could mean the difference between survival and freezing to death.